Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Introductory Post

Until I moved to Salt Lake two years ago, I had no personal experience with the Tongan culture or language.  It seemed that within a week of moving here from Utah Valley I had very few friends who were not Polynesian.  Being immersed into a culture when you were raised with no cultural roots yourself is a fascinating experience, and one that I hope I can explore more deeply along with the study of the Tongan language. 
Through two years of conversations, I was able to grasp for just a second what it might mean to be Tongan  Growing up I was taught to dislike my extended family, whereas Tongans consider their first cousins siblings, and love their aunties and uncles like parents. I had no idea where my ancestors came from compared to my newfound friends who new which village their family lived in before coming to the states. There is a connection between family members that runs deeper than the palangi family experience.  There are many aspects of the Tongan culture that I view as a much better way of operating. 
Two years ago, never would I have guessed that I would have been able to be in Vava’u for three weeks to experience a culture and country that I have grown to love from the outside, nor would have I guessed that a life goal would be to learn as much as I could about the Kingdom of Tonga and it’s people. 
Being in this class has been not only a learning experience about the Tongan culture, but I have learned a lot about myself, my beliefs, and how I view the culture I grew up in. 

1 comment:

  1. Ma'ake,

    'Oiaue! 'Oku to to atu ho'o website. Faka'ofo'ofa e ngaahi ta mo ho'o ngaahi fakamatala. Malo e ngaue lahi. This is awesome: a beautiful, memorable and pictorial record of your personal journey to find yourself and direction in life. Am glad our island kingdom is part of that journey. Am so glad you're in the Tongan class. Your insights and perspectives are always eye-opening and thought-provoking. Love the games. That's quite an undertaking. 'Ofa atu.

    ReplyDelete